Disruptor Beam was getting ready to pivot the company to Beamable, but I had one game in me that I wanted to deliver with the team. We had spoken to FOX about the Archer license, but we weren’t too sure what to do with it.
That’s when I found the Trailer Park Boys mobile game and thought it was the perfect model to build an Archer game with. So, I reached out to some contacts and started up a deal with East Side Games to combine their design and game balance with Disruptor Beam’s tech to bring a game to market with a pretty low budget.
The game was a hit and brought in $40M+ in it’s first year. With a $1.2M budget, that’s not too bad. The game was also successful for Disruptor Beam as selling the product to East Side Games before global launch allowed them a solid revenue generator to launch their platform.
I am able to take on and succeed in different leadership roles on a team based on the project status.
After securing the license with FOX and deal with East Side Games, it was time to start building the game. I built out the project plan and backlog while also working closely with engineers to get a very quick prototype stood up. They built the backend technology, while I built the prototype frontend interface.
As we moved through pre-production and prepared to start building the game, I spent some time building tools for UI designers to create juicy animations because we really needed to hit another level of polish in our UI design.
As we moved through production and into soft launch, I took on more of a product owner role, ensuring the backlog was prepared for the team to plan their work while also planning and running regular playtests to gather feedback and inform the backlog.